Alexa Lardieri; New York, NY; email@example.com
Reporter – Social Media & Investigative/feature story expertise
- Adaptable journalist with experience pitching, reporting on, writing and editing a range of stories in fast-paced news-cycle environments, including U.S. News & World Report. Adept at taking challenging concepts and creating reader-friendly content. Highly skilled in social media promotion and search engine optimization to grow target audiences.
- Exceptional ability to manage multitasking to meet tight deadlines and work collaboratively with a team. Able to track and produce breaking news stories and long-form pieces. Excel in interviewing sources, performing deep-dive research, and analyzing data to develop high-impact content.
- Conversational in Italian.
Deep Reporting • Breaking News Cycle • Writing • Story Pitches • Research • Data Analysis Interviewing • Social Media • Copyediting • In-Depth Features • Long-Form Stories Analytical Pieces • Contact Building • AP Style • WordPress • Microsoft Office • Google Analytics • Ubersuggest • Content Management Systems HTML • Buffer • Search Engine Optimization • Facebook • Twitter •Reddit • Pixlr • Google Keywords
Breaking news reporter/digital producer – U.S. News & World Report 2017 – Present Washington, DC/New York, NY
Write stories on wide spectrum of breaking news developments including topics such as space, healthcare policy, economic and political news, and medical breakthroughs. Produce stories in content management system, including for other reporters. Develop long-form pieces. Monitor social media continually. Write SEO-specific headlines and content. Create cartoon galleries.
- Played an integral role in launching U.S. News’ all-new America 2020 project, an in-depth look at the 2020 presidential election, including profiles of candidates and explanations of major issues. Worked across the company with editors, writers and developers to build and launch the new site, requiring coding with HTML, working extensively in the CMS and promoting the project’s launch. Was recognized company-wide for my role.
- Invited to radio stations such as WDEL and KFGO to discuss various articles, including Study: Vaping Doesn’t Help Smokers Quit Cigarettes and Trump Walks Back E-Cigarette Ban Over Voter Backlash Concerns.
- Selected for article inclusion on sites such as Drudge Report and in American Medical Association Morning Rounds emails.
- Article samples: In California, Wildfires Disrupt Education, California Docs Work to Limit Nurses’ Abilities, Despite Physician Salary Increases, Wage Gaps Still Exist, New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu Stresses Importance of Local Leaders.
Crisis Counselor – Crisis Text Line 2019 New York, NY
Volunteer 12 hours per week as a counselor for people in crisis texting into the hotline. Work with texters to support them and offer guidance and resources during crises. Completed 30 hours of training and pledged to complete 200 volunteer hours per year.
Ambassador – theSkimm 2019 Washington, DC
Supported the launch of theSkimm’s first book, the #1 New York Times Best Seller, How to Skimm Your Life, by executing grassroots marketing efforts to help achieve sales goals, sharing personal life hacks with the Skimm community, and repeatedly delivering feedback throughout the pre-ordering process as a trusted brand advocate.
Researcher/writer – U.S. News & World Report 2016 – 2017 Washington, DC
Collaborated with rankings and reviews team to perform in-depth research of data and analyze results to develop car reviews. Wrote car reviews. Researched search engine optimization (SEO) to improve Google coverage. Changed how reviews written based on SEO findings. Selected to move to news team.
Increased site’s traffic to highest-ever level by collaborating with team to redesign car rankings and reviews. Achieved top Google search results for car reviews such as for Chevrolet Malibu and various Honda models. Joined Washington Automotive Press Association.
- Became semi-expert in topic from novice level within one year by building knowledge, resulting in being selected by editor to attend auto manufacturing events to network and learn/test drive products.
Social media specialist/reporter – LifeZette/Ingraham Media Group 2015 – 2016 Washington, DC
Managed fast-paced news cycle with tight deadlines, responding to and writing articles on breaking, newsworthy stories. Reviewed and edited other writers’ stories to align with style guide. Developed stories using WordPress as platform. Created slideshows. Edited story images using Adobe Photoshop. Wrote taglines.
- Expanded social media audience from 2k to 35k on Twitter, and from almost 300 to 1M on Facebook, with additional audiences on Reddit and Flipboard based on changes done over 11-month-period.
- Article samples: When Adopting Makes Three, Smart Drugs for College Kids.
Writer – American Journalism Review 2015 College Park, MD
Conducted research on journalism industry. Developed concepts, pitched story ideas to editorial team, and wrote articles for publication. Interviewed journalists and industry experts.
- Wrote Newspapers Hunt for New Readers on Instagram, which was picked up by large media outlets such as PBS, Poynter and Jim Romenesko on newspapers’ use of Instagram.
- Article sample: Meet the Reporter Who Used Data to ‘Take Punxsutawney Phil Down’.
Staff writer – Theodysseyonline.com 2014 – 2015 New York, NY
Managed weekly article development on current events and trends, including pitching story ideas and interviewing sources. Promoted articles on social media sites, including Facebook, WordPress, Twitter, Tumblr, and Reddit.
- Articles were ranked “most viewed” and consistently in “top three” most-viewed on website per post-release publisher/editor feedback.
- Article samples: The Network for Victim Recovery of D.C., Meningitis Outbreak at UMD.
Staff writer/section editor – Collegemagazine.com 2012 – 2013 College Park, MD
Served as managing editor for six writers, reviewing and suggesting revisions. Generated story concepts and wrote targeted weekly articles for 250k audience drawn from 15 universities. Conducted interviews. Attended weekly meetings as staff writer, and set up weekly meetings with publisher, editor-in-chief, writers and editors.
- Promoted in less than six months from staff writer to section editor by editor-in-chief/publisher.
PREVIOUS POSITIONS as intern at Explore Long Island/Newsday, web intern at Niche Media.
Education: Bachelor of arts, multi-platform journalism – University of Maryland College Park, MD